Things You Can Do Before and After Your Rhinoplasty to Have the Best Experience
It is no secret that most people today care a lot about how they look. To prove that point, the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) has reported that, for the first time ever, the amount that people in the United States spent more than $13.5 billion on surgical and nonsurgical procedures to look better. The rhinoplasty procedure is a very popular procedure done all over the country. There are a number of different types of nose surgery that people can have to improve their appearance. There are things you can do both before and after your surgery to have a better experience, these tips are valid no matter which of the types of nose surgery you opt to get.
What You Need to Do Before Your Surgery
- Get all of your questions answered. When people go in for any of the types of nose surgery, they usually have a lot of questions. Having all of yours answered before you have the operation can help you better understand what you should expect and can give you more peace of mind.
- Talk to your plastic surgeon about what over the counter medications and supplements that you take. They will have you stop taking any non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) you may take. These include aspirin, naproxen sodium, and ibuprofen. If you take vitamin E or certain herbal supplements, they will have you stop taking them. These will need to be discontinued at least two weeks before your plastic surgery. They will also recommend you stop smoking the same time.
- Stock up your home with your medications and other items. Get the post-op prescriptions before your surgery. If you can get these before you go in for your operation, that will make your life easier after it is done. You will also want to have a good stockpile of cool drinks and lip balm. You will have to breathe through your mouth for a few days and it will get dry. Having some healthy foods that you like in your kitchen will also make things easier for you, no matter which of the types of nose surgery you have. You will want soft foods for at least a week after your surgery so many sure you get enough of those to last at least a week.
- Have a friend or relative help you after the surgery. You will need someone to drive or escort you home. You may also feel better if you have someone around for the first few days after you have the surgery done.
What You Need to Do After Your Surgery
- When you lie down, make sure you prop up your head. This will do a lot to prevent inflammation, which will make it all less painful.
- Be careful walking around your home. It may seem like a no-brainer to not run into things with your nose after you have had any of the types of nose surgery but it is important enough to mention. For at least two weeks, you should skip any intense workouts.
- Be careful about the amount of salt you have in your diet after you have your surgery. Too much salt can cause you to retain more water and experience more swelling.
- Take it easy after your nose surgery. People do not always realize this but after even minor procedures such as a tooth extraction, you need to give your body some time to heal. After a more serious operation such as a nose job, that is even truer. Take it easy, relax. Binge watch something on TV or read a book. Your body needs rest and you should give it to it.
- Do not leave your home without sunscreen. You should do this to prevent skin cancer or to keep your skin looking younger for longer. After your surgery, you need to be really proactive in this area. Protect your skin from the sun with a hat or sunscreen. This will help the healing process and prevent inflammation.
There are a lot of types of nose surgery you can get. Taking care to do these things before and after you have one will make the process go better.